Monthly Archives: September 2011

Lost Type CO-OP

I’ve decided to try some new things with the blog. Depending on feedback, we’ll see how it goes. I realize whether you’re a designer or a chef or a doctor, in order for you to grow you have to get involved in something besides yourself. Engage the community to which you belong. So I’ve decided to start a list of resources to share with other designers out there. I think that if I had found some of these resources sooner I would have had a better portfolio when I graduated and maybe gotten a better job. Well you live and you learn and if you’re a decent human being you teach. So to start this off I’ve decided to feature the Lost Type CO-OP by Tyler Galpin and Riley Cran

Their words:

“The Lost Type Co-Op is a Pay-What-You-Want Type foundry, the first of its kind.
Founded by Riley Cran and Tyler Galpin, originally in a whirlwind 24 hour adventure to distribute a single typeface, Lost Type has blossomed into a full fledged foundry, distributing fonts from designers all over the world, with its unique model.
Users have the opportunity to pay whatever they like for a font, you can even type in ‘$0’ for a free download.
100% of funds from these sales go directly to the designers of the fonts, respectively.
Lost Type takes no cut of sales, and holds no funds.”

My words:


The Lost Type Co-Op is great resource for some really great fonts. I’ve used these fonts on a couple projects including this site but also just for fun stuff I’ve done. Some of the fonts are limited to only Uppercase characters or a font might not have numerals but, in my opinion, that just adds to the character of these fonts. The first font I bought was “Onramp” by Michael Spitz. I visit the site regularly and I’m starting to see more and more of the fonts being used in various projects out there. Well, I won’t ruin it with any more opinions – go check it out and see for yourself.

Labor Day + T-shirt printing tips.


Here’s a little preview of what I did this weekend. I decided the first print I wanted to use would be “USA” print that I put together a while back. So I got to work putting it together not knowing how to do this at all really. Kinkos printed the artwork on a transparency for me and after I coated my screen I exposed it myself in the office. The first attempt was over exposed so I reclaimed the screen and went over the artwork on the transparency with a marker to make it darker and thus – more opaque. The second time worked. The next part was building a “platen” (the part that you stretch the shirt over) and determine where to mount it. So with some scrap wood and some rigging, I got it together and the went about lining everything up. After some quick measuring and marking with masking tape I tried a couple test prints on junk shirts and they worked out pretty well. It turns out you need to have a pretty good system in place in order for this to be successful. I was a little slow so the more prints I made the worse they got. My theory: the ink was starting to dry in the screen. So, if you have an air-conditioned space to do this in you’ll probably do better. I think the heat and humidity in the garage hastened the drying time on the shirts and in the screen so I had to move quick. Overall, I’m still happy with the results. The style of the design that I chose lends itself to imperfection so, in this case, my sloppy process works. I’m still going to refine it and I’ll keep you posted.